Saturday 8 June 2013

Day dreamers crochet lesson No3

Hello happy hookers, today you will be learning the UK treble crochet stitch (tr). Grad some DK cotton (I'm using Wendy supreme in a lovely ice white) and a 4 mm hook.

I will be doing a 10 stitch swatch but, as I've previously said, to really get the action of the stitch in your head try doing a dish cloth.  The treble stitch is very good for floor cloths.

So to begin, chain 38 (35+3).  If you need to, have a quick look at lesson 1 to remind you how to do the slip stitch and chain.




To begin the treble stitch, identify the 4 th chain from the hook, marked with a needle.
 Yarn over hook 


Now insert the hook into that 4 th stitch.

Yarn over hook again


Pull the yarn through the 4th chain stitch, 3 on the hook.


Yarn over hook again


Pull yarn through 2.


Yarn over hook again................ Nearly there :)



And pull through final 2 stitches on the hook, you should have 1 left.



That's it, your first treble stitch, now for a recap



    
                                                  

And continue to the end.


When you get to the end, you need to chain 3


These are called turning chains, they keep you rows nice and even. 

Now turn your work and pause............... Identify the first stitch and ignore it.
Because treble is a tall stitch the 3 turning chains are classed as a stitch so if you were to work into the first stitch your work would keep getting wider and wider.


This is the stitch we will be working into


Right then, YOH and insert in to the stitch.


YOH, and pull yarn through


YOH

Pull through 2. YOH,


Pull yarn through final 2


Now, it may look like there is a space but trust me, it will straighten out as your work progresses.

So work a treble in each stitch and a 3 chain at the and, then turn your work.


You will be working across the rows, remember to miss that first stitch.


Now that we have that bit sorted, I'd like to take a moment to go through the last stitch.


Everyone misses this one when they are first starting out.  That's because it's a chain 3 'post' not a treble stitch. Can you see it? I've stuck a needle in it here.


So, the treble is the same, YOH.....poke.....YOH.......pull.......YOH.....pull2.....YOH.......pull2


And that is it :) if it helps to count your stitches then do.


Well done hookers.

Now don't forget to post your pic on my face book page, @dollydoultonscraftygoodness. (I'll stick a link in when I'm on my main computer)

Sweet daydreams 

Em xxxx









































2 comments:

  1. Thank you Dolly - this is so helpful having the step-by-step photos and being able to see exactly where I put my hook as I have been a little confused when doing that part.

    {{hugs}}
    Jocelyn x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad its helping :)
      It's nice to know someone is reading my rambles, I look forward to your comments,
      Take care :)

      Delete